You must have seen how food colors, artificial flavors, emulsifiers, preservatives, and sweeteners have gradually saturated the Americans’ food supply for more than forty years now. We are unfortunately on the rock face of finally finding out what our toxic food industry has achieved not only to every consumer’s health but to the environment as well. No wonder, there is a heightened alertness and a sense of watchfulness among most grocery shoppers nowadays. So yeah, let’s try to make this pretty straightforward for all of us here.
What Kind of Food Ingredients We Must All Stay Away From
- Artificial Sweeteners. Aspartame (E951) is a neurotoxin and carcinogen commonly found in foods labeled as “diet” and/or “sugar-free” as in Nutrasweet and Equal products. The components of this popular sweetener can result in various ailments such as chronic fatigue, brain tumor, diabetes, lymphoma, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s. It can also cause emotional disorders like anxiety attacks, depression, and mental confusion. This toxic food ingredient is often found in diet/sugar-free sodas, jello, drink mixes, baking goods, desserts, cereal, breath mints, iced tea, toothpaste, chewable vitamins, and a lot more!
- High Fructose Corn Syrup. Usually found in all processed foods as well as candies, breads, and even flavored yogurts, HFCS is a form of a highly-refined artificial sweetener which has been identified as the primary source of calories in America. Not only does this pack on the pounds much faster than any other food ingredient, it increases one’s bad cholesterol levels, too.
- Monosodium Glutamate. Also called as MSG (or E621), this compound is an amino acid commonly used as a flavor enhancer in salad dressings, soups, frozen entrees, chips, and many other restaurant foods. MSG is an excitoxin which over-excites the cells to the extent that it causes serious health damage, or worse, death! Regular consumption of this may lead to mild health issues like headaches, disorientation, and fatigue, to more serious problems like eye damage, obesity, and depression.
- Trans Fat. Often used as an agent to enhance and extend food products’ shelf life, trans fat (found in chips and crackers, margarine, baked goods, etc.) is among those very harmful substances that we consume time and again. Research reveals its effect in increasing bad cholesterol levels while reducing the “good” ones in our body. It also increases the risk of heart diseases, heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and other health issues.
- Common Food Dyes and Other Food Chemicals. Artificial colorings which can be found in fruit juices, sodas, salad dressings have been discovered to contribute in significant decline in IQ and a series of behavioral problems among children. Other compounds that need to be avoided include Sodium Sulfite (E221) (commonly found in wine an dried fruits), Sodium Nitrate/Sodium Nitrite (often found in processed foods like bacon, hotdogs, lunch meats, ham, corned beef, cured meats, smoked fish, etc.), BHA and BHT (E320), Sulfur Dioxide (E220), Potassium Bromate, Acesulfame-K, Sucralose, Propyl Gallate, Sodium Chloride, Soy Lecithin, and Polysorbate 80.
Perhaps the best proven way to actually steer clear of all of these toxic ingredients is to buy goods which are 100% organic as they do not contain unsafe chemical additives. Although organic food costs a lot more than non-organic, by consuming the former, you are making sure that you get a higher quality of life without those lethal toxins building up in your body. Besides, what better investment really is there than your own health?